Monday, January 4, 2010

A new year and I'm already slacking...

Happy New Years everyone!

2010. Honestly, where are the hover-boards and such that were predicted to be around in the Back to the Future movies? Those would have come in good use once I got back to NYC last week: there were a few extra million people in the city for New Year's Eve and I have never seen so little of the pavement as I walked from the train to my restaurant. It was unbelievable, at the very least. I've never been impatient around tourists, but I seriously just wanted to maul them all down so they'd get out of my way. Definitely a new feeling to me. Life was thrown into hyperdrive as soon as I hit the pavement upon getting back and it didn't let up until I got home around 9 pm on Saturday after my third straight double. (This included one 16-hour day on New Year's Eve. In Times Square. Life. Sucks.)

There was a bright, shining few moments between all the madness:

1) After work on Wednesday, I met up with Skittles and his family for dinner. I hadn't seen him since the weekend before I moved in August and let me tell you, I think I missed this guy more than anyone. Have you ever had a friend that never really had to get to know, you just knew the minute you met that this was one person you wanted to be around for the rest of your life? (I just read that and I realize it sounds very I-like-it-so-I-should-put-a-ring-on-it.) That's exactly how it was when I met him over three years ago when he arrived at the New Guy party for Club. It seemed like he was just happy to be wherever he was. I told him while we were sitting at dinner that it was the moment I first met him outside Western Lodge that I decided I wanted him to be my Little. Quite possibly in my Top 5 Best Decisions. Which, of course, has made the last two years being away from Miami even more difficult. In that time Skittles has become Vice President of Club (a position I held four years ago), a Student Conductor, and Musical Director of Cheezies, not to mention some kind of icon around campus. (Don't deny it, dude: YOU ARE!) Seriously, everyone knows him. Anyway, dinner was great with him and, it seemed, his entire family tree. After dinner they went off to see Finian's Rainbow, which I have already seen so I opted out of it. However, we did get to meet for breakfast the next morning and got to have more time to catch up, which just made me miss having that time all the time even MORE. Oh, well. I'll see you in March, bud...

2) While Skittles and his family went to Finian's Rainbow, I made my way up to 52nd St. to see the current revival of Ragtime which has recently announced a premature closing date. The first time I saw Ragtime, I drove down to Lynchburg, VA, with my friends Charles, Charlie, and Amy to surprise Brad (all high school friends). Even at this small school with immense talent and little budget to spend on their productions, I knew this was a very special show. Cut to me losing count of how many times I was moved to tears during the nearly 3 hours I sat in the Neil Simon Theatre experiencing one of the most incredible theatrical productions I have EVER seen. Everything was great. Everyone was great. It was great. I only wish there was a word that could accurately describe how sublime this show is. The energy in the theatre was tangible just waiting for the show to start. As soon as the lights started to dim the audience erupted with cheers and applause. Each number got bigger applause than the previous one which constantly built until the end of the show. As soon as the lights blacked out for the end of the show, everyone in the theatre jumped to their feet. The cacophony of sound rose with each bow until it culminated with a sound that could only signal the entrance of a stage legend. However, instead it was a young man named Quentin Earl Darrington making his Broadway debut in the lead role of Coalhouse Walker Jr. This is a moment I will never forget for as long as I live. Mr. Darrington gives nothing short of a career-making performance and should most definitely be practicing his acceptance speeches which he is sure to make come awards seasons. This man became a star right before our eyes on the stage and even from the second-to-last row of the audience I could see the tears streaming down his face as he came up from his bow. This is what I hope to achieve: move people to the point that their reaction moves me to tears.

3) The money was good.

But now, the tourists are gone and things have already begun to normalize in life: my sleep schedule actually exists and there is no more money to be made at the restaurant, which sucks. I may be looking for more gainful employment for the next few months.

I remember thinking this week that there was so much I needed to write about in this blog, but I guess not as much as I thought. However, I would like to give a shout out to my buddy Brenton that informed me that he is an avid reader of this blog and, dude, I am so happy you do.

Happy Adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment