Monday, December 14, 2009

All in the air...

Happy Monday everyone!

The official count stands at 11 days until Day-O-Presents 2009! I get really excited naturally because this is the only day out of the year that I get presents. Life can suck for some people. If any of you know how I can legally get my birthday changed to a mid-year date, let me know.

So, with the official count at 11 days, it is the Christmas season--and it is in full swing everywhere here in NYC. I haven't had a chance yet, but the tree is up and lit at Rockefeller Center. My original plan for the season was to get a good picture of myself in front of the tree and send that out as my first EVER Christmas card. As you can deduce, because you're all brilliant people, I haven't gotten around to that yet. Hopefully that'll happen in the next week or so... There's holiday music playing everywhere (even in the streets in my neighborhood, it's quite fantastical). There's a slight chill in the air, I can see my breath, nothing feels better than hot tea or cocoa, and there's oddly nothing more warm and fuzzy than that sensation you can get only at this time of year. People fill the streets with their bags of gifts bulging at all corners and when they bust, there is always someone there to help them get back on their way as quickly as possible.

It's kind of interesting to me to find that after a year that has been so full of arguing and hatred that for just a few weeks, it seems most people are a little nicer to each other, maybe a little more patient. But why wait till the end of the year to do this? Why not all year round? If I may be so bold--this may be breaking some kind of rule, but bear with me--I challenge all of you to make a constant effort during 2010 to be in the Christmas spirit the whole year. Now, of course, I can see how that may cheapen the actual season itself come this time next year, but still it seems the world is a better place when we have a little of that spirit in us. Try it. You don't have to get back to me on it, just see for yourself. "Be the change you see in the world." ~Ghandi

And on the topic of quotes, I came across this very interesting snippet from last week's episode of How I Met Your Mother:
Student #1: "Mr. Mosby, we're all scared."
Student #2: "Being scared let's you know you're on to something important."
Ted: "That's right! If you're not scared, then you're not taking a chance. And if you're not taking a chance, what the hell are you doing?"
This got me thinking like WHOA! I've gotten comfortable in my life in the last few months. Some may think that's a good thing, but I'm not scared anymore. Am I not taking chances, or am I just waiting to take those chances? This could mean so many things, and maybe I'm just writing them down here so I can look back later and think: "Oh! That's why I did that..." I don't what what "that" is right now, but I kind of have the feeling Tony has at the beginning of West Side Story when he sings "Something's Coming" (my favorite song to sing). Maybe it's about time I start taking some chances, in many ways. Maybe 2010 will be the year I begin the story I'll tell my kids about "how I met [their] mother". Maybe 2010 will be the year I get on a stage and make a name for myself. Maybe 2010 will be there year I...

Maybe I'll just save the rest of that for a later post...

So, here I sit with a hot cup of peppermint tea and I'm reminiscing on some of my previous posts, one in particular: "Who Are You?" Earlier in this post I asked about changing my birthday. Well, of course I don't mean that. It's kind of interesting how often birthdays come up in conversation and it just so turns out that I have a birthday that is quite the conversation starter. People either think being born on Christmas is awesome or awful. As most things do it has its pros and cons. However, it's one of those fun facts about me that I think make me and give me a little bit more personality. This whole idea got me thinking about whether there's actually anything I would change about myself. Physically, I would like to be in better condition, but that's in the works. Additionally, I do think the one thing I will spend some money on getting fixed once I have money would be my jaw line which jets out a bit because of my under-bite. Now, most people tell me they have never noticed it until I pointed it out, but I know it's there and it has bothered me for years. I would just prefer to have my bottom teeth sit behind my top teeth like they're suppose to. Is that so much to ask for? Maybe for Christmas Santa will bring me a hard punch to the lower jaw and I'll have to get it reset... (Santa, that is a joke, NOT a wish!)

Well, I've had a long day and have lots of things to do tomorrow, including some Christmas shopping, so I'm gonna call it a day. I hope you're all well and I hope to hear from you soon.

Happy Adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment