Monday, August 24, 2009

YOU Decide Nick's Adventures!

Alright. So here's the deal: my life isn't really all that interesting, but I'm so stoked that so many of you are actually reading and can't wait to see what I'll do next. So, I figured that this blog really isn't just for myself and there are many of you that say you are living vicariously through me. (Side note: "vicarious living" is one of the best terms ever--I don't know why I think this...) Anywho, this is my idea: there are so many things to do in NYC, I just don't know what I should do. This is where you all come in. If you there is something you've always wanted to do in NYC but have never gotten the chance, tell me what it is, I'll go do it, take pictures, then make that experience my next blog post!

This has all kind of spawn because I saw Julie & Julia a few weeks ago and loved the fact that this woman in Queens was writing a blog that people were reading and loving. After the first few weeks of moving here, I don't really foresee a whole lot of incredibly fun things happening as all I'm going to be doing is working and hoping to have a really good audition that ends with me getting cast in the show. In the meantime, there's so many other things I could be doing. And this way I know what I'm going to be doing on my days off and I don't just lay in bed all day thinking about all the things I could be doing.

Obviously, there has to be some kind of ground rules, such as no stalking celebrities (I do that all the time, why else would I work in Times Square? Ooo, P.S. I saw John Stamos the other day as he was doing promo stuff for the revival of Bye, Bye Birdie he's starring in at the new Henry Miller's Theatre), no working the corner (selling rats on a stick, or otherwise...), and nothing that'll cost too much money. However, if you'd like me to go see a Broadway show and tell you all about it here, I'm sure we could work something out, but Nicky ain't gots no monies fo dat rot now... Sorry about that.

So let me know what YOU want me to do in NYC!

In other news: I had the most random night out last night. The last few days I've been working pretty much non-stop and racked up a long list of hours this past week. Suffice to say I was pretty tired after I got off work last night and decided to partake in the glories of working at a Brewery restaurant. So I had my shift drink at the bar, enjoying myself while making a few phone calls that I had put off too long.

During my shift, I met this trio of delightful Canadians that were visiting NYC for the first time ever! Naturally, I was all pumped to be the non-tourist in the city and was letting them know the ins-and-outs of what's cool to do in NYC. It was during this time that I realized I don't really know what's all that great to do here other than going to see shows. But that was cool with them, they were actually interested in maybe seeing something while they're here. So I ended up showing them where the tkts booth is, where a few theatres were with shows I suggested to them and how to find cheap tickets for great shows. They were overjoyed with how kind I was and insisted that we stop somewhere for another beer. "F*CK YEAH!" I exclaimed.

We decided Times Square was too busy, so we just walked to 8th Avenue and started exploring around there. Since they were staying at a hotel around Madison Square Garden, we proceeded south on 8th and came across Emmett's, a pretty neat place in the theatre district. There weren't more than four other people there, so we decided this was a good spot to stop. First off, our bartender was from Scotland (immediately, I wanted to call him William Wallace, instead of his name Ryan). Second, the guy a few seats down from us was from Dublin, Ireland. So I'm surrounded by accents right about now with Scottish behind the bar, Irish on my left, and a trifecta of Canadian "ehs" on my right. THIS IS NEW YORK. The Canadians proceeded to buy me a Blue Moon, which was just delectable. A little later on, one of the Canadians got lost on his way back from the bathroom. He made a wrong turn and just sat in a corner in the basement waiting to be discovered (isn't everyone). Luckily, I started exploring the caverns of this bar and found him far off the beaten path. Extra luckily, he was very thankful that I took the time to find him and he bought me another beer. YEAH! There were also two rounds of Petron somewhere in there, not sure when... By the way, these Canadians were all in their 30's but looked like they just graduated high school--what the hell is in their water up there? After they left, the Irishman had the bartender pour me a Guinness. Ahh, Guinness. After a little conversation, I decided it was time to make my way home--at 2:30 in the morning. (Did I mention that I had gotten off work around 9 PM?) To say the least, my travels home were fairly easy, but a bit wobbly.

Not exactly how I figured my Sunday night would go.

The next post will probably come next Monday. I like Mondays as my Blog Days, so plan on checking back then for more. I'm hopefully going to take some pictures of the Manhattan skyline from the roof of my current apartment and post them here before it's too late and I don't have roof access anymore. This coming weekend, I'll be moving to the other side of the block to a four-bedroom townhouse. So, that means this is probably my last post from my first apartment in NYC. Oh, the memories...

I'll "see" you all next time. Start thinking of where/what you want me to go/do!

7 comments:

  1. I think you should go explore Central Park and randomly burst out into song. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want you to go find the naked cowboy that stands in the middle of times square and sing a duet with him. Video footage preferred, but photos are acceptable =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think base jumping off of the empire state building would be pretty epic...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nick, I think you should do the 100 strangers project. http://www.100strangers.com/ I know you're not a photographer but you have the ability to charm people off their feet, and it'd be a fun project that would allow you to meet new people without being too creepy. You can even say "hey my friend Angie told me I should do this since I'm new to the city." :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK Nick, you have to go on a bar hopping adventure for me....start with Chumley's 86 Betford St. (it you can find it oooahhhh!!!)
    onto Jekyll & Hyde 1409 Ave. of the Americas (spooky fun time!) next No Idea Bar, 30 E. 20th (if you're lucky you can drink for free!) and finally PDT in the East Village 113 St. Marks Pl btw 1st & A ( hint: do you have to make a phone call??) Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1) play kickball for the Dirty Pirate Hookers
    2) hang out with your favorite buxom blonde, like, ALL THE TIME
    3) take aforementioned blonde on ksneyer's bar hopping adventure (she can help, she totally knows 3/4 of those... and those are tricky bars to find!)
    4) bake Chelsea brownies (she's been bugging me)
    5) walk the Brooklyn Bridge (extra points if you quote Newsies whist doing so)
    6) ride around on the Staten Island Ferry (it's like a free Circle Line cruise!)
    7) free kayaking on the Hudson
    8) find the Bdubs in Brooklyn with me (I'm scared to go alone bc I have no idea how to navigate BK)
    9) introduce me to John Stamos (mmm Uncle Jesse)
    10) Coney Island

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been to NYC so I can't tell you anything, but I thoroughly enjoyed your adventure with the Canadians. Sounds like a good time :)

    ReplyDelete