Monday, August 10, 2009

One week down...the rest of my life to go.

It's 2:00 PM on Monday, August 10, 2009, in Astoria, NY. I've been here for one whole week now and I can't even begin to describe all the things I've felt since I arrived.

Let's start with last weekend:
Whether or not they are reading this, I need to thank Drew, Brandon, Dave, Jason, Sean, Nicky, and Mark for the best way to spend my last weekend in Ohio: with some of my best friends, having a great time drinking, singing, and relaxing on Indian Lake. I can't wait till next year.

Then, there was the move:
Packing began as soon as I got back from the lake on Sunday. Luckily, my brother is pretty awesome as packing a truck and the whole process went pretty easily. Charles and Charlie came over to help and hang out a bit since we hadn't really had a chance to hang out after I moved back to Columbus. My final dinner in Columbus was pizza at Massey's--and it was divine!

Monday morning came arrived before I knew it. At 5:15 AM, Andy and I drove out of Columbus and made out way to NYC! Things weren't perfect immediately: the adapter in the truck didn't work, so we couldn't plug in an iPod or his GPS which made the drive more difficult, especially once we got closer to the city. It turned out to be a long drive, but a good one since Andy and I just got the time to talk and catch up on stuff. Side note: I hope to never have to drive to New York again, especially not on US-1 and 9 which was bumper-to-bumper for about 8 miles...with a window down...in 90 degree weather...

However, once we got to Astoria, it was only about 40 minutes before the truck was empty and we were setting up my room in the apartment. It's not big, but it's mine for the next few weeks until I move to another place on the same block!!! Which reminds me: I'm not moving to BROOKLYN, I'm staying in Astoria! Small world, let me tell ya. Anywho, as Andy and I drove the truck to the drop-off place, we found a box in the truck. Inside this box was an external hard drive. I have been meaning to buy one for months so I don't lose everything I've put on my computer since it crashed last fall, but never got around to it. Now I don't have to! Thankfully, my computer is equipped with a program that automatically backs-up my hard drive anytime anything changes. SCORE ONE FOR NICK!

Let me tell you how awesome my little apartment is: we have roof access and a beautiful view of Manhattan! Not to mention I have a pretty kick-ass roommate! Her name is Kathryn and she is a fan of How I Met Your Mother, The Office, Scrubs, and Justing Timberlake. I can't lie, it's pretty awesome living here. My room is really small, but it does the job and it allows me to live in NYC.

On the job front, I spent Tuesday afternoon walking around Midtown Manhattan searching out my next job. The first application I filled out got my a job as a host at a busy midtown restaurant. However, it's not going to pay enough to support living here, so I'm searching for a second job, hopefully within the realm of the theatre world. I've also made it to a few auditions. This really is the business of "Hurry Up and Wait." However, small world experiences have ensued and at my first audition, I sat down right next to a friend of mine's roommate whom I had never met before--cue "It's a Small World After All...". We'll see how the rest of the job search turns out.

Another bit of AWESOMENESS: there is a Penny Arcade at a local bank. I took $7.80 to said bank's penny arcade and proceeded to put those coins in the machine. There was some kind of malfunction and I ended up with $25+ when it was all said and done. HOW AWESOME IS THAT?!?!

Other things I've experienced: the Adult Kickball League. Holy Crap do these people know how to party. They go to a bar that eventually clears out leaving only kickballers there. I can't really say anymore, because I think they may have to kill me.

Well, this has been sufficiently rambled and far too long. If you've made this far, congratulations! Hopefully, I'll see you soon so you can experience this all with me.

Hoping you are all well wherever you are,

Nick


5 comments:

  1. So wait, how did you decide to stay in Astoria? Your ADD is worse than mine! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh - I HATE US-1 too!

    Did you know we almost, practically but not really but kinda sorta are neighbors? I'm in the Trenton/Princeton, NJ area!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth: Astoria just works out better, nicer, and cheaper.

    Becky: Let me know if you ever make it into the city. I'm usually bored and need people to hang out with.

    Zack: penny arcades rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, the choir's coming to new york this year, maybe we'll visit. and I need to see this penny arcade!

    ReplyDelete