Thursday, August 20, 2009

Has it really been two and a half weeks?

Seriously, I can't believe it's already August 20th--17 days since I moved here!

In the last week, I've:

1) Started working. It's a great job and I'm doing very well. So far, it hasn't been too terribly busy, which is probably good for me since I'm just learning and getting the feel for hosting. However, there's a popular Broadway show opening up across the street from our restaurant in a few weeks, so we're DEFINITELY going to be getting busier. I've also become "friends" with members of the cast that have come over for lunch a few days--they're pretty cool. The people I work with are awesome and I feel very fortunate to have found a place that feels very much like home already. Honestly, after leaving Max & Erma's, I wasn't sure if I would found a group of people I would enjoy working with so much. It's not exactly the same, but they are a great group of people. Naturally, being New York, I work with a lot of people trying to break into the biz. As such, they are very much "my people". We haven't broken out in song yet, but it's only a matter of time. Fear not. More on this later...

2) Looked into other jobs. While I love my job at the restaurant, it doesn't really pay enough to support my living out here. As such, I am still on the search for other gainful employment, at least until I start serving and can pull in more than $250/week... I've talked to other restaurants and have applied for a number of jobs within the theatre community simply because that's the industry I want to be a part of. Nothing has really materialized yet, but I just need to be more patient.

3) Found more auditions. I've found audition calls for the City Center Encores! series, Wicked, On the Town (at Paper Mill Playhouse in NJ), La Cage aux Folles, and Billy Elliot. At the same time, I think I'm gonna have to give the auditions a rest until I have enough money to take the time off to go to auditions. In this scenario, I won't be auditioning for anything until mid-September, which leaves on the Billy Elliot auditions from the above list. However, I think that's the only show I actually have a shot at getting in as there are a number of burly miners in the show. We'll see where this all goes...

4) Have found myself thinking less of moving back to Ohio. I don't think I covered that last part in my last post. It's true. But I've also found it's very common to feel this way. My situation isn't all that extraordinary compared to everyone else that has made this move to NYC. However, I'm trying to come to grips with the fact that this was my decision and I have to deal with all the difficult things like an adult and make my own way. It feels incredibly liberating to say that, but incredibly terrifying at the same time.

In other news, I've lost a noticeable amount of weight! I suspect the numbers around 10-12 lbs. since I moved, which is pretty awesome. Just wait till you all see me at Christmas.

Speaking of "you all", is anybody really reading this? Am I maybe I only doing this for myself? Holler back if you're out there.

8 comments:

  1. Nick! I get so excited to read your blog entries. Know that I'm reading it and loving every word. I missed Ohio terribly when I came out here (and I even had a "return" date!). I can't wait until you start discovering yourself within NYC. The only thing that helps is time. For some reason though, no matter what, Ohio still always feels more like home.
    I better see you at Christmas! I can't wait to hear all of your stories in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nick! This is Amy Via... i'm reading and supporting you from Ohio! And you better believe I'd be in NYC to see a show WHEN you make it! It's awesome that you're following your dreams and taking these chances... not all of us do that. Take it one step at a time and enjoy yourself, too! i can't wait to hear more... keep em' coming! Have I told you lately???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a blog-addic. I'm living vicariously through your NYC experiences, so keep 'em coming darling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto on what Megan said. I love hearing all about your NYC adventures! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nick, I love reading your posts! Wishing you all the luck and if I ever get up in your neck of the woods, I will let you know....maybe give up my seat to one of the wonderful shows you have not yet seen!! Seriously, I have got to see Billy Elliot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep it up Nick. Even if we all stop reading... keep writing it. What a great chronicle to have in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading! I'm not the best at updating my own blog, but I do keep up on reading others'...so don't stop! Miss you! Good luck with the job hunt and auditions!You're at such an exciting crossroads in your life - even if it does seem scary/sucky at times. (at least this is what I keep telling myself so I don't go insane) =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete