Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Slacking...

So, yes, I was unable to post yesterday and I apologize (Christina...). Sadly, our internet at the apartment is less than reliable, thus I'm forced to post when I can anymore.

Furthermore sadly, there hasn't been a new adventure in the last week since the Central Park Adventure. I've been working pretty non-stop. The only thing I've done outside of work since the park was seeing "Altar Boyz" off-Broadway. And HOLY CRAP! I could not believe how hard I laughed for a solid 90 minutes. The show is making fun of Catholicism from the word "go" and since I spent nine years in Catholic school, I found it funnier than most people in the audience. I really hope it stays open long enough for my mom's visit--whenever that'll be.

Life is pretty much full of work these days and not much while actually there. The revival of Bye, Bye Birdie began previews last Thursday and our business has not shot through the roof like we had anticipated. Our managers like to be prepared, so they scheduled more servers than normal to work and it turns out we just don't need the extra help. As a result, we're not making all that much money and we're wasting people's time by having them come in for one or two hours and they get maybe two tables. And I forgot to mention, that was my Saturday night at work...

The biggest reason I have to post this week is to ask for some very strong prayers. This Thursday is the Chorus Call for Billy Elliot. It's not very typical for a non-Equity actor to be seen at an Equity Chorus Call, but I'm praying that someone sees me waiting and says, "Hey! You look like a big, burly miner. Let's hear you." In that case, I'll know this is my one shot at this and luckily I've had some good advice on how to pick my song and I've chosen the reprise of "Where's the Girl?" from The Scarlet Pimpernel. It's the perfect 32-bar song that showcases everything my voice is able to do, minus the soprano-high falsetto. My sources say it's a good song and it sits very well in my voice.

Along those same lines, I've begun putting together my audition book. Essentially, this is a collection of songs that span every genre and allow me to showcase my vocal abilities and personality. There's a lot of work that goes into breaking into this industry, but I'm glad to be surrounded by people that have been doing this for a few years and are more than willing to help a guy out.

That's really all for now. I gotta get this in before I lose my internet connection.

If you think about it, I could really use some prayers being sent up above on Thursday. The audition starts at 10 AM and will probably only go for a few hours, but we'll see what happens. Check back next week.

Happy Adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment